Friday, April 07, 2006

eureka, fools gold!

It hasn't even been a week yet, and I don't have splits from last year, but here are some numbers from the 2006 MLB baseball season which backup my claim that relievers are giving up lots of big flies. Heading into tonite:

Starters 97 HR allowed 375 IP 0.2587 HR/IP
Relievers 59 HR allowed 92 IP 0.6413 HR/IP

(stats courtesy of MLB.com)

Now, really small sample size, but HUGE discrepancy in numbers between starters and relievers. These numbers just go to back up my claim that the ban on greenies is affecting relievers more than any other position player. And quite frankly, I don't remember how I got to that claim, or why I'm using home runs allowed as the barometer to justify that claim. I should re-read my own last post.

I'm also going to have to find numbers from last year to compare this year's numbers to, verifying that this is a stat of note.

That still doesn't answer the question of why I'm doing this. I mean, I do have a paper to write on Joseph Howe, so that's why I'm thinking about baseball, but I forget my point as to why I'm tracking home runs allowed by starters versus relievers in 2006.

I think I've misplaced my marbles. I can't seem to find them.

Also, I was playing solitaire with a real deck of cards (as opposed to on the computer) and the 6 of diamonds was missing.

All these incidents mean something....

tergiversation n 1 : evasion of straightforward action or clear-cut statement : EQUIVOCATION 2 : desertion of a cause, position, party, or faith

No comments: